Wednesday, February 1, 2012

First Email - MTC 1.31.12

โรำฟสไฟวปใ <-- that means hello...psych! i have no idea what that means, i just changed the language on my computer to Thai and started typing!

But the MTC is sweet. The first few days were horrible. I wanted to die. You know how the Savior was mentally prepared for Gethsemane, but not experientially prepared...well thats how I felt. Mentally I was ready to say goodbye to the world for 2 years but I had no idea how difficult and overwhelming the homesickness would actually be. And to add to the insanity, we had to teach an "investigator" on our third day...in Thai. That was nuts. It was a rough few days. But Sunday it all changed. I think I realized that I am trying to do all this by myself. I realized that I am stressing out for nothing, the Lord will help me learn Thai and help me become the missionary I am to be. So after I realized that, everything got better! It is awesome.

But Thai is crazy hard. The tones are killer. To get them right I have to move my hand and head with the tone. So when I say stuff I look like I belong in the psych ward, moving my head up and down and tracing imaginary mountains and valleys in the air. It is pretty funny. My district has Thai time where we only speak in Thai to each other. Its hilarious. We hardly understand each other and our conversations are limited to bearing our testimonies to each other and asking who this book belongs to. We have a good time though.

My companion is Elder Gibbons. And he is from Draper. He is pretty chill. The thing I admire most about him is his charity, he never misses an opportunity to serve others. He'll take the trays for the senior missionaries and the sisters in our district every time. He truly cares about people, its cool. He obeys too, which makes it easier for me to obey.

There are 8 elders in my district and we are all going to Thailand. There is another district of Thai missionaries that arrived on the same day as us with 8 more. And then there are about 8 more Thai missionaries that have been here for a little over a month. There are a ton of us, we all sit together at meals, its pretty cool.

The coolest word i learned in Thai is klabcay (pronounced glabjai). It means to repent, but the cool thing is klab means to return and cay means heart. So repent literally means to return your heart. How sweet is that?! Yeah Thai pretty much rocks.

Phom rag phii thug (that is supposed to be i love you all)

Elder M. Riley Creer
The only

hashtags:
#ThatAkwardMomentWhenAnElderInYourDistrictHasTheExactSameShoesAsYouAndAnAlmostIdentitcalSuit
#Whenyougetaskedtochangeyourtiebecauseitistoobright
#Whenyouareteachingalessonandlookdownandrealizeyouarewearinganotherelderssuitjacket
#firstweek

No comments: