Saturday, October 26, 2013

Asoke 10.26.13

Hey Family!

This week has been an adventure.

It started out with a funeral.  B. Direk from Nongkynonks lost his daughter this past week.  He asked the elders and President Senior (they are from the same stake in Arizona) to help him put a service together.  So we did.  I never thought I'd be planning a funeral on my mission.  We rounded up as many of the elders who have served in Nongkhai as we could and headed to the mortuary to show our love to B. Direk and his family.  The service reminded me how great the Plan of Salvation is, how blessed we are to know about it, and how urgently we need to share it.  Others don't know.  It's our job to tell them.

Later in the week, E. Davies and I were sent to Ayuthaya to conduct exchanges.  I was with E. Gibbons for the day.  MTC reunion baby!  It is nuts to think that I was with him in the MTC.  Part of me thinks it was just yesterday.  Part of me thinks it was a life ago.

Highlight of the day: I wrote in concrete.  Real talk.  I wrote "Jesus Christ lives" in this shopowner's driveway.  We were riding by and I saw the concrete man smoothing out the stuff.  I stopped and asked if I could write in it.  He said ask the owner.  So I did.  She was all for it.  But then the concrete man said we'd have to come back later when it was more dry.  So we did.  Turns out writing in concrete is really hard.  I kept hitting pebbles that would pop out leaving a fat hole in the middle of the letter.  After some serious sweating it looked ok and I was pleased.  Now her driveway will announce to all her customers that Christ lives.  Yeah Buddy.

Yesterday.  I got my Thai driving license.  The test was a joke.  Seriously.  There were 4 parts.  Part 1: This lady had us identify the color of the bulb on the traffic light.  Red. Yellow. Yellow.  Green.  It was pretty nerve-racking.  Part 2: we had to push this button that moved a pole until it was inline with the other pole.  I think it was testing our depth perception.  Easy.  Part 3:  My favorite.  We pressed on the gas.  The light turned green.  When it turned red we had to switch to the brake.  It tested our reaction time.  This one lady failed twice in a row!  She either couldn't press the brake with her 4 inch heels or has the slowest reaction time in the world.  Super funny.  Part 4: we had to put our face in this little device that had lights in our peripherals.  Again we had to tell the employee what color we saw.  Nutshell: all the tests have made me increasingly fearful of Thai drivers.  Anyone can get a license here!

Well.  I love you.  Let the Spirit guide.  When the Holy Ghost speaks, it is the one voice you can't answer with a "Don't tell me what to do!"

Elder M. Riley Creer
The Only

Mom...Do I need to worry about BYU business?  Housing business?  Have you found me a 2 month program to become a master welder?

 asok

No comments: