Monday, May 13, 2013

Bangna 5.6.13

Hello from the land down under.

I have received a mid-mission reassignment to the Australia Perth mission, Thai speaking.  Yeah...a kangaroo just ran by our house.  PSYCH!

I'm still in the big T, enjoying paradise.  This week has been hot.  Wicked hot.  We each drink around 3 liters of water before we leave the house each morning and then sweat it all out by 2 pm...yeah it's a glamorous life.

Sam, you have stitches?  From what?  Katie, congrats on the race!  And I loved your blog post with all the What's up doc quotes.  So classic.  Jeremy, I prayed for you...after you already took the test.  Sorry I forgot!  But I'm sure since I'm in another hemisphere there is a time delay and retroactive blessings are ok.  Mom, did you send me the new address?  I was going to write a letter (you know...with paper) but then I got all stressed about when you were moving and if I'd send it to the wrong house so I figured I'd write it next week :)  Dad, thanks for the notes.  They helped.

"Well this is dumb" story: Last Pday.  E. Jensen and I had a sweet plan.  It involved dropping by the mission office/distribution center and picking up some new scrips, and then heading to the King's palace and temple.  Yeah we were pretty pumped.  We first stopped by the office and learned the distribution center is only open on Thursday.  [insert expression of dismay here] Then we headed to the king's palace.  We took a BTS train to the end of the line, a 30 minute ridiculously jerky bus ride, arriving there at 3:37 pm.  We get out and walk to the entrance.  As we walk I read a sign that says it closes for foreigners at 3:30 pm.  Ouch.  That hurts the team.  Real bad.  Not wanting to give up that easy, we try a different door.  This guard guy stops us and says we can't go in.  I tried to show him my work permit hoping that would let us get in.  Nope.  Unless we got a bunch of tanning oil and a quick nose job there was no way we were getting inside.  It was a sad experience.  Nutshell:  For Pday we spent tons of personal money testing out the various public transportation options offered in Bangkok: BTS, MRT, Bus, Taxi.  I'm beginning to wonder why I'm so bad at Pdays.  I guess the trip planning gene my mom has is recessive.

This week we spent quite a bit of time looking for less actives.  Have I ever mentioned Thai addresses?  Well if there is an order or some kind of system then I don't understand it at all.  We ended up riding our bikes around in the heat for a long time looking and spent very little time finding.  It was a bit of a bummer.  Brightside: I probably lost half a kilo in sweat.  Yeah buddy.

Big News (no pun intended): Our investigator passed her baptismal interview!  You may be wondering what the pun was...well her name is News.  For real, it is News.  But she passed and will be baptized on Sunday.  Yes.  She is a 19 year old girl that is studying here in Bangkok.  She speaks lightning fast and uses lots of facial expressions, aka she is hilarious to talk to.

Bigger news: An Apostle of Jesus Christ is coming to Thailand.  The whole mission is having a fat meeting on the 18th with him.  Yeah we are pumped.  We still don't know who is coming but I'll keep you all updated.


Much Love,

Elder M. Riley Creer
the only


No comments: