Monday, December 3, 2012

Nongkhai 12.3.12

Hey family!

This week was nuts.

P-day. We went to a crocodile farm. Then a giant statue garden. Yes. According to the handout they gave us at the entrance, the sculptor was half-animal and half-man. Classic. Whether he is 100% human or not, I don't know but his statues were big. Real big. We snapped some sweet pics, don't even worry.

The Tangled-Festival: After Disney released Tangled, Thailand went crazy. They loved it so much they decided to make a holiday for it and launch off lanterns like in the movie. They take their Disney movies very seriously here. Well anyway, the night of the festival came around and so did a fat rain cloud. #thathurtstheteam. So the armada of lanterns that was supposed to drift up to heaven turned out to be about 20 spread out all over the city. Yeah we were bummed. There were tons of water boat things though. That was pretty sweet. They make these floating candle boats out of bamboo (I think), leaves, flowers and other colorful things then float them down the river. There were a ton. It was sweet. The next day we sent up some lanterns of our own after dinner. If you minus my companion, the other elders, and the random Thai people in the background, and sub in my future wife...it was probably the most romantic thing I've ever done. Well there is always next year.

Highlight of the week: Sunday. We had a good day. Committed 3 people to be baptized in the end of December. Yeah buddy. We were feeling great and pumped to eat E. Tzanis' high class Sunday dinner. We had just pulled our bikes into our house when 3 cockroaches scurried under the door. Game on. E. Barfuss grabbed a broom/sweeper/scrubber thing and swept one right out the door. The other 2 were too fast. One took cover under the cabinet by the giant garage door. I smoked him out with the pest spray. Sweep. He's outta here. The last guy brought his A game. He had sneaked into a corner and was not going to leave. This is when it gets good. E. Barfuss is trying to sweep him towards the door when it runs right by his foot. He lets out this high pitched squeal. I'm thinking, "I've never heard my sister scream like that...was that for real?" Two seconds later when I heard it again I knew he was serious. This is when I bust out my camera and start capturing this encounter for posterity. E. Barfuss Vs. The cockroach. E. Barfuss' weapon of choice: a sweeper (for lack of a better word). The cockroach's weapon of choice: pure fear. Round 1: They face off in the corner. The cockroach charges. E. Barfuss tries the sweeper. It's not very effective! Fear overcomes him. He screams. Loud. And high. 1 point to the pest. Round 2: The cockroach dives under the laundry basket. E. Barfuss summons his bravery and tilts it up to settle this silly game. His courage crumbles. He screams. Loud. And long. 1 point to the roach. I'm dying with laughter. Final Round: E. Barfuss tries the sweeper again. It's super effective. He exclaims, "I think I killed it." He approaches warily. The cockroach lies still. Dead. Psych! It jumps up and scurries to the corner. E. Barfuss screams again. 2 points to the pest. He sweeps it towards the door finally and I follow up with the spray. Victory. Best video ever.

Well I love you all!

Elder M. Riley Creer
The Only

No comments: