Monday, December 10, 2012

Nongkhai 12.10.12

Hey family!

This week was pretty good. Life is great over here in the far east (does Thailand count as the far east?).

Highlight of the week: A random Thai man gave me a hug. Yeah I think he was drunk. It was still a special moment.

So Thailand is still great. Don't worry. It is getting a little chilly at night these days. It is supreme. It feels so good riding home in almost-chilly temperatures instead of blazing heat. It's great.

Things I have been studying recently: asking questions and Mormon 7. I think asking questions is so critical in any teaching situation (whether it is Sunday School, lessons with investigators or the workshop at Home Depot on Saturday mornings). The right questions help people ponder about what you are teaching, they help people apply it to their lives. They invite the Spirit (even at the Home Depot). I think I don't ask enough questions, or sometimes when I ask questions they aren't the right questions. I have been trying to ask the right question at the right moment. It is hard. Preach My Gospel says you have to be in tune with the Spirit but also with your investigator. I am realizing how important it is to teach someone doctrine, not present doctrine to them. Mormon 7 is the favorite chapter of the week. It is recorded right after the Nephites are all destroyed. Mormon writes what he thinks the Lamanites need to know. He tells them who Christ is, why he came on earth and what we need to do to follow him. I love it. As I read about the destruction of the Lamanites I thought about how hard it would be to watch your civilization be destroyed. To know how they can be saved, try and help them do it and watch as they rejected their only salvation. Yikes.

For Poppa Smurf: One of our daters is named Pirome. He is the son of another member. He is 40ish. Then their is Dang and Mai, they are in their 40's too. Dang works in Laos and Mai is a stay at home mom. Mai was supposed to come to church...she didn't. Then we have Muay. She is great. She is 42 and has 2 daugthers. She bakes goodies. Saturday night we found another family, Meow and Ged. Ged is the mom (40's) and Meow is a 17 year old girl. They are really nice and always willing to meet. We'll pray that they will overcome the obstacles that lay ahead and get baptized.

Well this email kinda stinks. Sorry. Next week I'll repent and write more.

Much Love,

Elder M. Riley Creer
The Only

No comments: