Thursday, November 29, 2012

Nongkhai 11.26.12

Dear Family,

How is life? Your Boston trip sounds sweet. How is the Spanish branch Jeremy and Katie? I'm sorry you can't go skiing this break Sam, but have fun working! Where are you working these days? Mom and Dad, I love you.  Other Christmas ideas: Mormon Tabernacle choir CDs. Or a thumbdrive/ipod with Motab on it. We can only listen to Motab so don't sneak any Dubstep on there (unless Motab finally released a techno remix).

Surprise of the Week: Sunday. Sacrament meeting starts in 15 minutes. The 2nd counselor comes out to the foyer and asks me for some help. He then asks me to speak in Sacrament meeting. The speakers didn't come. He says 10 minutes...nuts. I say ok and start preparing. Luckily, 2 weeks ago we had to prepare a 2 minute talk for the mission tour. So I just lengthened that bad boy and was golden. Normally when I'm asked to speak I start freaking out. I get cold sweats, hot sweats, my tongues swells up, dizzy spells, and even cardiac arrest (name that movie). But this time I was really calm. Maybe because I'm already a white sheep in a field of black sheep so it doesn't matter what I do I already stick out. I ended up speaking for 15 minutes (reading in Thai eats time up like pacman and those ghosts) which is longer than I have ever spoken in English.

This week we are starting a Spiritual Fast. We are fasting for 40 days from the things that poke at our spirit, from our natural man tendencies that impede the Spirit. It should be great. We read a great talk in district meeting about it, it helped the missionaries who did it keep their eye single to the glory of God and as a result they were able to become true instruments in the hands of God and witness miracles. One thing I'm giving up is beatboxing. It will be tough but I think the Spirit will be able to influence us a little better if there isn't a bumping bass emanating from my mouth as we ride to our next appointment.

My favorite scripture of the week is Jeremiah 29:13. I found it while studying for this Spiritual Fast. It talks about how we find God when we search for Him with all our heart. When we search with all our heart, we are willing to give up good things, things that we love (aka beatboxing), for better things. Yep.

Well Life is still marvelous and I still love you all.

With love the size of a double big mac (yeah they have those here (I don't know how the little thai people can handle it though))

Elder M. Riley Creer
the only

No comments: