Monday, November 18, 2013

Asoke 11.16.13

Hello Family

Life is splendid.  Way splendid.

We had a baptism on Sunday!  Her name is Lue (I have no idea how to spell it in English, you say it like queue but with an L).  She bore an awesome testimony about prayer.  It was marvelous.  I love hearing recent converts testimonies.  Hearing them share life-altering experiences with prayer is priceless.  Just last night we asked her to help us teach some investigators from English class.  She nailed it.  She bore a sweet testimony of prayer and giving up Buddhism for something better.  Nutshell: Listening recent converts' testimonies are my paychecks.  Worth far more than money.

The mission is exploding with miracles right now.  This month is really an inflection point.  Things are changing.  The Lord truly is hastening His work...so are we.  Up and up from here.  It is exciting to be here in Asoke working with President.  We get to hear all the miracles and stellar stories.

Our November goal of each companionship with a baptism (aka Bovember) is unifying the mission.  Districts and zones are pulling together to help out the companionships that haven't had a baptism yet.  We are becoming one.  We are realizing that this is God's work not our own.  And we want everyone to be successful laboring in His vineyard.

aka: The mission is killing it right now.  Oh baby.

That hurts the team moment: I was riding the MRT (subway) with E. Davies.  We were coming back from a teaching appointment near Chinatown.  The train was packed.  I had talked to everyone in my immediate vicinity.  No success.  I saw a small gap in the masses with a teenage girl on the other side.  I felt like I needed to talk to her.  So I slipped through the gap and started a conversation about being cleansed from sin.  After explaining, I asked her if she would like to wash her sins away.  Before she could answer this woman behind me taps me on the shoulder and asks, "Are you bothering her?"  Taken back I answered that I wasn't.  Not satisfied she asks the girl with whom I was speaking.  The girl responds similarly.  Still not satisfied she asked me, "Have you asked her yet if you are bothering her?"  So I asked the girl.  She said I wasn't.  So the interrupter turned around and went back to her iphone.  It was bizarre.  I wish I would have sang that song "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter or turned and started asking if she wanted a better life through baptism.  Perhaps it is better that I didn't.  Anyway, the whole exchange was awkward and left me baffled that she would get so upset that I was talking to a girl about remission of sins.

Miracle Moment:  We went to Bangbuathong (west BKK) to help them find someone who wanted to be baptized.  I went with E. Pyne to declare repentance by a market.  We were there for a couple hours.  They were a rough couple hours.  We got rejected the entire time.  Either they didn't want to be cleansed from sin, didn't have sin, or thought they were cleansing sin by praying to their statues.  Feeling a little disappointed we boarded a bus to head back to the church to meet the others.  On the bus I sat there praying, asking for help, asking for miracles, when opened my eyes and looked up.  The first thing I saw was a man sitting in the front of the bus with space next to him.  I got up and moved to talk to him.  I pulled out a baptism picture as I went.  Amazingly the girl sitting next to him whispered, "baptism by water."  I was stunned.  99% of Thai people think the guy with his arm raised is going to whack the other one, or he is checking his pulse.  They never know what it is.  So after I talked with the man I originally saw, I turned and chatted with the girl.  They were both willing to meet again and talk about baptism.  The Lord answers prayers.  Pray without ceasing and you will see miracles without ceasing.  Holler.

Don't forget.  The Book of Mormon is the word of God.  It testifies of Christ.  So do I.  He lives.

Lotsa Love

Elder M. Riley Creer

the only

No comments: