Monday, February 4, 2013

Nongkhai 2.4.13

Dear Family!

First off, Mom I'm sorry for my irresponsible use of the ATM. I wasn't sure how much was in there so that's why it was 3 separate transactions. I guess I was just throwing money at the banks with those ATM charges...whoops. I'm sure those poor corporate execs really need it though. But I bought a Samurai sword! A REAL ONE. It is so sick. It was made in 1837 by a legendary blacksmith who was a secret samurai. Totally worth the 5,500 Baht. Psych! I used the money to pay back E. Tzanis for his travel expenses (the house fund didn't have enough dough). So now the house fund owes me some serious cash.

BIG NEWS: “By invitation, the Thailand Bangkok Mission received approval to have four young service volunteers to labor in Vientiane, Laos. These service volunteers will work with Deseret International Charities under the direction of the Senior Couples who are located in Vientiane, and will be involved in a variety of humanitarian and educational service opportunities, including clean water projects, hygiene, neo-natal education and English language instruction. The young volunteers will also support the Branch activities of the Laotian Saints in Vientiane, Laos. The Church is not yet officially recognized in Laos and this recent activity is for the purpose of providing additional educational and humanitarian service.” That was the message that Pres. Senior wanted us to send home. In a nutshell: 4 young men were sent to Laos to be "service volunteers." They will teach English mostly and help the senior couples with their various projects. But it is the first time Laos has a allowed anyone other than senior couples into the country. Super exciting. When Pres. Senior announced it the Spirit filled the room. Everyone was totally silent. It was incredible. But E. Tzanis is one of the 4! What a champ.

So I am still in Nongkhai (YES) but I have a new companion...again. His name is Elder Jex. He is from Utah. He has already finished the Book of Mormon in Thai and he is on transfers 5! I'm only in Mosiah...slacker times 10. He is great though.

The survey:
1. How has the mission been so far?
Incredibly rewarding. Watching people's lives change as they accept the restored gospel is marvelous. There have been disappointments but the joy outweighs all else.
2. Harder than I thought? Easier?
Harder. I didn't expect the disappointments. I expected rejection but not the sorrow and frustration that comes from it. Doing all you can to help a person come closer to Christ, closer to happiness and watching them turn back from the edge instead of taking the leap of faith is heartbreaking. When they don't stall though and make the leap it is all worth it.
3. Favorite Experience? Most spiritual?
Favorite: Listening to B. Rak bear testimony about the Book of Mormon. Hearing him say that he knew it was true was wonderful, joyous.
Spiritual: Setting some lofty goals. I fasted and prayed to know if they were in line with God's will. They were. I felt the Spirit tell me that the goals I was setting were what God wanted me to do. Knowing the goals you are setting are not only church-approved but God-approved gives you such confidence that He will help you achieve them.
4. (Un)tastybusiness?
Grossest thing: Pork from the pig's leg complete with skin and hair. Yeah, hair too. I forced it down. Almost wanted to force it back up too.
The greens: They are still a chore but they don't make me gag so it's easy money. How do I eat it? I put it in my mouth. I chew. I swallow. Aka I don't think about it, I just do it. Some of the food you learn to like, some of it you learn to not think about.
5. Funniest experience? Scariest?
Funniest: Watching E. Barfuss (epitome of a macho man) trying to get rid of a cockroach and screaming his head off. Best video ever.
Scariest: Chiangmai. We were just going on a casual elephant ride through the hills when a tiger charges us. It leaps into the air to tackle us off the pachyderm. I start saying
"I'm going down." I hear my brother's voice, "Clip out! clip out!" Then the guide shoots it dead mid-leap. I didn't tell you before because I thought you'd get really worried about me. That and it's also not true. Gotcha!
Legit Scariest: When B. Rod couldn't get the words right to baptize his wife. After about the 4 time I thought he was going to give up and bail. It was a sweaty 5 minutes. Worst feeling.
6. Favorite part? Least?
Favorite: The relationships we build with investigators, members and other missionaries. The bond that is forged is so unique, so strong. Love.
Least: Moving. You spend all your time building these great relationships and then have to peace out. Awful.
7. When did I know I would serve a mission?
It was never a question. I was always wanted to do it. Watching Sam serve solidified it. 那.
8. Do I know my family misses and loves me a ton?
They holler at me like they do so I guess that means they really do! Yeah, I know. Our family rocks.

Well I love you all. Peace out. Ski hard for me yeah?

Elder M. Riley Creer




No comments: