Monday, May 7, 2012

Khon Kaen 5.7.12

Family!
This week was great. There was a wedding. Some rain. Some more rain. Lots of canceled appointments which meant lots of inviting (#yesssssss). And an investigator who agreed to be baptized in June #yeahbuddy.

So the wedding was pretty interesting. This 50ish retired green beret married a 30ish Thai woman. It was pretty cool. The best part was the beginning though, the groom was led by a parade to the chapel. The parade carried tasty desserts with little flags stuck in them. I've never seen anything like it! And I got to be in it (pictures to come)! It was funny, I was the only white guy in the line (besides the groom of course). So I had a little taste of Thai culture this week, super cool.

The rain: CRAZY! It dumps. Saturday night we were inviting and it started and within 5 seconds we were soaked. The streets started to get huge puddles/lakes all over. One intersection was flooded with about 2 inches of water. It was sweet riding our bikes through it though, when you are already soaked puddles become a lot more fun. We road to the Fairy mall to pick up some food and were drenched. We walked inside looking like we just fell in a pool with our clothes on. Then I realized I still had my helmet on (#thathurtstheteam) so we ran back out to the bikes and then went back inside. This employee was mopping where we had just walked two seconds before and here we come, still soaked, right through her mopping job. It was bad news. She probably hated us. We left a trail of water everywhere we went, it was great.

This week Elder Pipat and I treated ourselves to dinner at Pizza Company one night. It was great (thanks mom and pops for footing the bill). But Farang food is pretty pricey (480ish baht>30 baht) so we don't get it often. But if you convert that into dollars it was a steal! We ate a 4 course meal for $16. Yeah...Thailand is pretty sweet.
The language is still coming. This morning I passed off some of the milestones (a memorization checklist the mission has) with Elder Leyva and he said I was doing really well. He was super impressed I had memorized D&C 4 in Thai this early (Elder Pipat told me to memorize it one day...so I did). He gave me some great advice though and told me some areas I can work on. So I guess I'm doing well with the memorization and stuff, the part that is super frustrating is when I can't understand investigators. I get so lost in lessons. The worst is when I teach a principle and the investigator is looking at Elder Pipat the entire time waiting for him to clarify. It is #lowkey depressing. But I'm slowly understanding more and more.

Yesterday (sunday) it rained again. It rained so hard we couldn't go out and work (apparently people don't let you in to their house if you are soaking wet...go figure). So that was a bummer, we just studied/memorized D&C 4. But after it stopped dumping we met one of our investigators named กิคิว (sounds like EQ) and taught him about finding out for himself if this gospel is true. Then we challenged him to baptism on the 26th of June and he said yes! WOOHOO. It was sweet. I'm stoked to see him progress to baptism.

The church is still true. Never forget it!

Hashtags:
The fruit here looks like it came straight out of Mario Kart. #thatgreenspikeyballisafruit? #googledurian
#thingsilove: Thunder that #literally shakes your house. Oh yeah...and Thailand.

Much Love
Elder M. Riley Creer
The only

No comments: