Monday, May 28, 2012

Khon Kaen 5.28.12

Hey family!

This week has been bitter sweet. I got a new companion. Elder Pipat became a zone leader and was transferred. It was a bummer. He was so funny. But my new companion, Elder Warren, is sweet. He is white which makes communication 10x better. He works hard though and is teaching me a lot, so it's great. He is from Lehi, Utah and served in the army since he was 17! He is thinking of switching to the Air Force when he finishes his mission. So yeah...he's a pretty cool guy.

The beginning of the week was switch off mania! Monday night I was with Elder Grover, we passed out flyers for the english class and did some inviting. He's a great elder. I learned a lot about inviting from him. The next day I studied with Elder Grover (part of the switch off) but then exchanged with Elder Banta (his companion was waiting for an Australian visa and left earlier in the week). E. Banta and I went to Kalasin to teach english Tuesday night and gather his stuff (he got transferred too). We came back from Kalasin Wednesday morning, I studied with E. Pipat one last time and then we went out teaching. It rained like crazy. It was so fun. It was a good last day with my pa. Wednesday night the bus to Bangkok came, everybody got on it but me and my new companion (E. Warren) got off. So in a couple days I had 4 companions...wow.

On Tuesday after district meeting we went to another sushi place. It was a lot better. I found out sushi is way better if you dip it in the sauces they give you. Without the sauce it tastes alien, with the sauce it tastes great. I feel like you could dip anything in that sauce and it would be tasty though...so I'm still not sure how I feel about sushi. Everyone raves about it but I think they should really be raving about this miracle sauce that turns awful food into great food #profound.

So we taught this new family this week for the second time. The first thing the dad said when we sat down was that he wanted to get baptized. He is a rockstar. But we taught him the restoration and I feel like it was the best lesson E. Pipat and I (E. Banta was there too) taught. I feel like we were finally understanding each other enough to teach with unity and then he got transferred...#nuts. But the family is stellar.

We have one investigator with a baptismal date for the end of June. He is ÍÔ¡¤ÔÇ (EQ) and way cool. He works a ton of overtime though which makes it hard to see him. Yesterday he wasn't at church which was a bummer. We went and visited him and turns out he went but didn't see anyone outside and was too shy to come in so he left. He was so close to coming! But I'm starting to understand how foreign the church can look to an outsider. I think if I hadn't been going to church since I was a little nino and some random white guys invited me to church I probably would be really nervous about going. Investigators really just need a guide, a friend that they can turn to and ask questions, someone who will take them under their wing. This church really does have it's own culture and language.

Thai this week was ok. It's still a hard language to learn...that hasn't changed. But I know that through the Atonement I can be strengthened. One thing I have learned on my mission is that there is a lot of stuff I can't do on my own (like learning Thai). But I don't have to do it by myself. Because of the Atonement, Christ is here to help me all along the way. I love reading in Mosiah 24 about how the Savior strengthened the backs of the people to bear the burdens placed upon them.

Well I still love you all. Thailand is still awesome. The pineapple still tastes like candy.

Answer time:
Yes dad, church is all in thai. My religious vocab is pretty good so I can get the gist of talks and lessons. The worst is when they ask me a question...I'm never quite sure what they ask me. Sometimes I just throw an answer and pray that it is right. Other times another elder will translate the question for me. But not completely understanding makes gospel essentials class very interesting.

I'm eating well. I think I'm figuring out which thai food I like, so eating isn't dreaded as much. I'm getting better at handling the spicy business too.

No mom, I have not received your package...but the ZL's are going down to Bangkok next week so hopefully it is there and they can bring it back with them.

Yes I'm doing my laundry.

#Hashtags:
Found out there is a cobra village near Khonkaen...#Hittinthatupforsure
#thatmomentwhenyourealize your companion-sized GPS called Elder Pipat leaves and you have to get around town. #Yikes
New companion #Leggo


Much Love,

Elder M. Riley Creer
The Only


No comments: