Monday, April 30, 2012

Khon Kaen 4.30.12

FAMILY!

Hello. #Breakingnews this week: I discovered an alien species. They are called Thai cows and boy are they bizarre. They have droopy ears like a dog and really weird heads. I feel like they are invading extra-terrestrials that did a sloppy job with cow disguises.

Other news: apparently I get mail more often than every 6 weeks. I guess the mission office mails out everybody's mail every week. So yeah...time to #holleratyourboy :)
This week was pretty nuts. An Elder in our district (did I mention E. Pipat is district leader?) had surgery to remove hemorrhoids (#thathurtstheteam) so his companion was trapped in the hospital while he recovered. So Elder Pipat and I went to Kalasin so E. Banta (the companion trapped in the hospital) could get out and work. So I spent Wednesday with him and it was pretty sweet. We rode out into the boonies! Kalasin is a smaller town and outside it is all these rice farms and 2 of his investigators live out by them. But while we were riding out there we passed this devil dog that came after us. It was psycho. Quick back story, if you get bitten by a dog in Thailand you HAVE to get rabies shots. So it was nipping at E. Banta's heels and he started kicking it (we are instructed to kick em if they start flexing on us) and it ran him off the road! Probably the funniest experience with a dog ever. So we taught this family and committed them to baptism and they said yes! The whole family agreed to be baptized in May #moneyinthebank. The ride back was even better than the ride there though. I'm following behind E. Banta and we pass by that same dog...and it goes straight for E. Banta again. I don't remember if he kicked it or what but it stopped attacking him and stopped right in front of me...so I ran it over #DontTellPETA. It was crazy. But it gets crazier. Sunday, I was with E. Banta and E. Pipat (The elder who had surgery to his house in Chang Rai to recover for 3 weeks) and we rode out to visit the same investigators. On the ride back the same dog came after me! So I juked him and left him looking for his broken ankles. But E. Pipat was behind me...so he ran over the dog...again. It was hilarious.
Thailand Bucket List...Eat something so spicy it makes me cry a little: Check. It is called Somtam (or something like that) and it was crazy hot. Pretty sure my taste buds were paralyzed for the next hour or so.
This week we had an investigator break up with us...or at least that's what it felt like. ¡º (pronounced gobe) gave us the "let's just be friends" speech. He said he likes to talk to us about weight training and which brand of protein is best for muscle building (E. Pipat and E. Leyva are fitness gurus) but he doesn't like talking about the gospel. Yeah that was pretty lame.

No Sam, no one has grabbed my butt yet. But I'm in ¢Í¹á¡è¹ (Khonkaen) which is a decent sized city in Northeast-ish Thailand. But cities here are different than cities in the united states, you can be in the middle of the city and turn a corner and feel like you just entered jurassic park. It is pretty cool. 
And no Sam, no tigers have attacked me.
So today I was studying the Atonement. I was reading in Alma 7:11-12 and for the first time I noticed that it says "His people." If we aren't numbered among His people then the Atonement only allows us to conquer physical death, not spiritual death. So I started thinking about what we have to do to be counted as his people. I followed a trail of footnotes and came to the conclusion that if we are to be on of Christ's people we must be His servant. And in Mosiah we learn that when we serve other people we really serve God, so to be counted in Christ's fold we must serve others. That's all I got.

hashtags:
E. Pipat swiped a waffle iron from Kalasin. #beenmakinwafflesoutthewazoo
Thailand sun is nuts #canyousaywatchtan?

Much Love,
Elder M. Riley Creer
The Only


No comments: