Thursday, August 13, 2015

Adventures

Everyone loves a good adventure right? Last night was one for the books. It was an adventure of astronomical proportions.
I have this unusual obsession with stars and all things space. I say unusual because no one in my family seems to share it with me. My obsession can be traced to my high school days. My friends and I would take dates to the star parties that the Las Vegas Astronomical Society would host. They would have a nerdy presentation about nebulas or black holes or some other cosmic term. Then they would let us look through their fancy telescopes! Some of them were massive! Like the size of a truck. I think that is when my star fascination began; when I looked and saw the moon.
This interstellar passion has continued to drive me to great lengths with the hope of witnessing something majestic. 
Well last night, in the hopes of catching the Perseid shower, some friends and I planned an astronomical adventure. We started at IHOP for some midnight pancakes. Tasty business. From their we all boarded the Creer Family Space Shuttle (AKA the white Honda Odyssey) and launched up Provo Canyon. We docked at a park nestled in the Wasatch Mountains. With blankets in tow we scouted the area for the best star gazing location. We selected this spot that was quite literally off the beaten path and set up shop. We blared some mystical sounding music as we peered into the deep black. Within 20 minutes of settling in we saw the shooting star of a lifetime. It originated on one side of the night sky and steadily streaked across to the opposite side, followed by a burning tail that seemed to stretch on forever. We all gasped in awe. It was incredible.
For the next hour and a half we marveled as each gleaming star shot across the night. Some were lightning fast. Some seemed to take their time as they flew through the black. The turtle and the hare. It never got old though, each meteor ilicited new gasps, prompted more pointing. Finally we decided it was time to go. We gathered our loot and re-embarked the space shuttle. Re-entry into Provo was smooth, no hiccups.
Oh what a night. 
Go adventure.

No comments: