Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Saphaan Sung 9.2.13

Hello Family that I love!
This week was fabulous.  We found a superb family.  We met some more mountain tribe people.  We also scored pink vests for free.  Yeah buddy.
Earlier this week we set up a table out front of a nearby college.  We passed out pass along cards to students as they walked by.  E. Campbell, E. Angkham, E. Barfuss and I all went.  It was way fun.   E. Angkham (he's from Laos) was yelling gospel truths in English.  It was hilarious.  We were pretty bold.  There was a taxi truck (mini-bus truck?) waiting at the red light full of people.  I jumped on the back step and asked them all if they knew who Jesus was as I passed out pass along cards.  They all stared at me.  Then the light turned green so I hopped off before it drove away.  Nutshell: for 2 hours we went hard in front of the college.  The most humorous part was when we encountered this angry black man.  He surprise attacked me from above.  I had just finished talking to someone and turned back to the table to see this pudgy black man demanding that I explain the word mammon.  I told him it means riches or worldly things or something like that.  He then told me to go home look up the word and come back tomorrow and we'll talk about it.  Thinking that he was confusing mammon with Mormon I explained that Mormon is a name of a person.  Then he exploded.  He started telling me that he believes in Christ, the Christ that atoned for the sins of the world, that was crucified on Calvary, that is the Son of God.  I was confused.  Did he think I didn't believe all those things?  So I ageed with him.  Then he told me we needed to have a Bible on our table so we could open it and prove what we taught.  I tried to show him how the pamphlets have scriptures in them but he wasn't listening so I agreed with him again.  I think he finally realized that we weren't there to debate the divinity of Christ and started asking me where I was from.  Soon after he left.  It was the most bizarre thing ever.  At first he was mega confrontational, but he was contending with me about truths that I believed in as well.  Then he flipped.  He started joking with me about Las Vegas.  Then he left.  Nutshell: He must have some strange ideas about what we believe.
Free Stuff:  This week E. Campbell and I went to visit the police station.  I had seen the motorcycle taxi men wearing these spiffy pink vests.  I wanted one.  So I asked some of them where I could buy one.  They answered that the police station was handing them out for free.  Oh baby.  I'm all over free stuff.  So a couple days later we went to the police station hoping to score some sweet threads.  Well they were out.  Bummed I told them about the free english program.  The head honcho was really interested and planned on taking his daughter.  Then he asks why we want the mototaxi vests.  Glimmer of Hope.  I tell him that I want to look fly when I drive my scooter back in America.  Then he goes to his desk and pulls out 2 vests from his secret stash!  Victory.  He then tells us to hide them in our bags because they told everyone they ran out days ago.
To help the branch get pumped on missionary work we planned a Dan Jones activity at the market next to the church.  We made some jumbo signs that invited everyone to come to church with us the following day.  We had about 10-15 members that came and helped us pass out cards and invite people to church.  It was sweet.  None of the people that we invited actually came but it helped the branch participate in missionary work.
Sunday, E. Campbell and I went to visit the mountain tribe people we are teaching.  Their 5 friends came and listened too.  It was wicked!  The problem was that most of them spoke Thai very poorly and couldn't understand the Burmese pamphlets that we got.  There are 2 of them that understand Thai and Burmese pretty well so we are just going to use them as translators for the rest of the tribe.  We tried to explain about God and Jesus and how they were different people (I think that part made it past the language barrier), and about baptism (maybe not so much was understood).  We were using pictures, pointing to objects, trying everything to get them to understand.  It was rough business but they are very happy people and fun to be around.  If only we could talk to them...
As we left their house we met another burmese family that was interested and two more mountain tribe kids that wanted to learn.  Nuts, we might as well open a branch out there in Burmese.
Weekly Study thoughts: Pride starts us on the road to inactivity.  We met a inactive man this week that was so prideful.  He was so proud of the things he had learned about religions and what he thought was truth.  Pride is not found in Heaven.  Reading the new Liahona and Helaman 11-12 helped me realize that Gratitude is how we fight pride off.  It is when we stop saying thanks to our Heavenly Father that we start forgetting him.  If we are continually grateful, then we are continually humble and humility leads to obedience which leads to salvation.  Step One: Say thanks.
Well I love you family...a lot.
elder m. riley creer
the only


No comments: