Monday, June 3, 2013

Saphaan Sung 6.3.13

Hey Family!

Thailand is great.  For real.

Turns out my companion lives in S. Weber.  Crazy huh?  Also a senior couple serving here, the Marvels, are from S. Weber.  Crazier huh?  Does our new house have a secret cave for my vigilante crime fighting equipment?

Well I bought a suit.  It's blue.  It's dapper.  Don't even worry.  As for the fabric, I think it is a wool, silk, cashmere blend.  I hope that is ok.  It was a little pricier than we originally discussed...but don't even worry, it is worth it.  So worth it.  It has my name on the inside...yeah now I'm on the same level as Jeremy.

Hospital surprise:  E. Thomas had pneumonia last transfer.  Yikes.  So we had to go to the hospital this past week for a check up.  We got to the hospital, took some X-rays and were invited to sit and wait for the doctor.  There was a tv.  Oh no.  An instant portal to Babylon.  It was playing a movie...an action movie.  Oh the temptation!  We opened our Thai scrips and were trying our best to study while explosions were flashing across the screen.  To our surprise, Sister Senior comes and sits in the chair next to us.  Oh how grateful I was that we decided to be obedient.  Moments later, President Senior shows up.  Apparently they were there to get blood tests done for their work permits.  We had a good discussion and President answered some of our questions about the upcoming zone conference on diligence and desire.  We said peace and left them to pay for the check up.  As E. Thomas was paying, I sat in a chair next to a man and his wife.  I began chatting with him.  Turns out he just got word his cancer is in remission (I think...that's a fuzzy area in my vocabulary).  I congratulated him and told him we were missionaries.  Then I saw the Seniors come and sit down in the seats directly behind me.  Oh boy.  This invite was going to have an audience.  I told the man about the Book of Mormon and resurrection.  He wanted it.  Bad.  I got his number and told him my friends would contact him and give him a copy.  Then he left.  Then Sister Senior said, "You are a great missionary."  Yeah...I lowkey wrote about it in my journal.  Lesson learned:  Always be diligent, you never know when your mission president and his wife will pop up right behind you.  

E. Thomas and I were heading to Samut Prakan to drop off some supplies for them.  We hopped in a taxi and headed off.  I was riding shotgun.  Score.  I was exhausted.  I wanted to sleep.  I considered it.  Then thought about the upcoming zone conference on desire and diligence.  So I fought off the exhaustion and began chatting with the driver.  He asked if we were college students (all Thai schools have uniforms with button-down shirts and ties so we get that all the time).  I said no and began telling him how we are missionaries and teach about Jesus Christ and forgiveness of sin.  He told me his wife was interested in washing her sins away.  Well awesome.  Can I have her number I asked.  He gives it to me.  Then I ask if I can call her right then.  He says go for it.  So I do.  He even talked to her first then gave the phone to me.  Turns out she really is interested and we have an appointment with her and hopefully her husband tomorrow.  Diligence leads to blessings.  I know it.

This email sort of reads like I'm boasting how great of a missionary I am.  Well it's not.  Both experiences helped me realize how a little extra effort can bring great rewards.  Small and simple things baby, small and simple.

Well I love you lots.  Keep it real in the land of the free.

Elder M. Riley Creer

The Only

No comments: