Monday, October 15, 2012

Chiangmai. 10.15.12

Hello Family.

How is life?  Tell Grandpa I really enjoyed that talk he sent me by Tad R. Callister.  It was amazing.  I can't believe you guys are Paris right now, Mom and Dad.  That is nuts.  Good luck in those museums.  You should watch Midnight in Paris while you are there, pretty funny stuff.  Sam, Thailand rocks.  My companion is hilarious and likes to eat at the most hi-so places in Chiangmai, so my lunch money has taken a real hit these past few weeks.  But he is great.  Did you ever struggle making your MSF last all month in Florida?  K&J, Spanish branch sounds nuts!  What a fun opportunity though, you two will be Spanish speaking machines in no time.  Well Jeremy, you already are...but don't fret Katie, you'll get there.  You definitely have to be patient with yourself, pray hard (REAL hard) and rely on the Lord's help.  Super cool though.

So Thailand is still awesome.  It doesn't rain as often anymore which would be great if it weren't for the irrepressible heat that has taken its place.  But riding a bike while baking in the sun is doing wonders for my watch tan, so don't even worry.

News this week: Narongdej passed his baptismal interview.  Score!  He will be baptized this upcoming Saturday.  Narongdej is an interesting man.  He is skinny, skinny times 10. He has some health issue so I think that is the cause, but what he has I have no idea (diseases isn't number one on my vocab. priority list, in fact it isn't even on there).  But he is a talker.  He'll talk your ear off.  About anything.  It is hilarious.  He follows us to our bikes, chattering the entire way, watches us mount up, still going strong, and waves as we ride into the distance, finally stopping.  Classic.  Also, B. Rak cut his hair.  He looks completely different.  Because I know you are all dying to know what he looks like I'll send a picture soon.  That is all.

Following...Something:  This week E. Campbell went to Lampang with E. Berbert, so E. Davis and I were in Chiangmai.  We were riding back from a less-active's house when I noticed a dog walk down a path I never really noticed before.  I stopped my bike and decided to check it out.  The dog stopped in front of this house that I didn't even know was there.  A girl was about to go inside so I started talking to her (by this time E. Davis is catching up to me).  She went and got her dad and we told him who we were and asked to tell him more.  He said right then was no bueno because he had some friends over but to come back another day.  Nutshell: I followed a dog.  The dog led me to a house.  In that house is someone who is going to get baptized (I hope).  Immediately after that, we are riding down this road intending on going street contacting, I'm riding in front and E. Davis is following.  I feel prompted to turn right, so I do.  I keep riding and then realize I have no idea why we are on this road so I stop.  I turn to E. Davis and say, "I have no idea why we are on this road."  He says, "Well maybe we should invite this house (the one I stopped in front of)."  So we get off our bikes and I'm about to ring the doorbell when this guy calls from inside, "Can I help you?"  Then he comes outside and starts talking to us.  He has been visited by missionaries before, 2 sets in fact.  
He asks, "Why did you come see me this late?"  
I respond, "We didn't intend to, we just felt like we should come talk to you."
"Right now?"
"Yeah, right now."
"Ok come on in."
So we went in.  He's loaded.  The half house half museum type.  He already has a Book of Mormon but it is the ancient copy (the old translation).  So we give him a new copy and teach a little about the Restoration and then make a return appointment.  This is when the story goes down hill.  We meet him a second time.  He feeds us a royal dinner.  We try to teach.  Turns into him educating us about Buddhism and how things "really are."  After teaching very little doctrine we leave the pamphlet and make a return appointment.  Third visit:  He spends the entire time comparing the Plan of Salvation to Buddhism, explaining how Buddhism has all the same elements of the plan.  Bogus.  His comparisons are wack, his analogies are confusing.  He says going to church won't have any benefit for him.  #thathurtstheteam.  Pondering our visits with Calvin (his farang name), I decided that he heard what we said but never really listened.  When we don't listen, the Holy Ghost doesn't have a chance to bear witness of truth.

So conference was great.  We watched it at the church on Saturday and Sunday.  Super Sweet!  Learned tons.

Much Love,

Elder M. Riley Creer
the only


#Hashtags:
#thatawkwardmomentwhen: you try to tell someone about the prophet's message and say the prophet's rice.
Left my backpack in my baller bike basket.  Went back 20 minutes later and it was still there. #blessed #holleratthatalliteration




No comments: