Monday, October 22, 2012

Chiang Mai 10.22.12



Dear Family,

What's up!  Chiangmai is fantastic.  The weather has been pretty hot recently which isn't too fun but no worries, I'm getting plenty of vitamin D and my watch tan is looking better than ever.

Good luck with the schoolwork Katie and Jeremy.  สุ้สุ้ (not sure I spelled that right...).  Sam, I'm definitely down to design skis for the rest of my life, no problem.  Mom and Pops, I'm #lowkey jealous of your trip.  

This week I was in Lampang with E. Berbert.  It was pretty fun.  He is way funny.  We taught an investigator there that has read the entire Book of Mormon and believes it is true but doesn't want to get baptized.  It was a frustrating lesson, she said there are elements of her life that won't mesh with Christianity (like worshiping the 'ghost' that lives in the apartment building she manages).  It was a bizarre lesson.  I don't think she had a spiritual witness of the Book of Mormon yet.  When you have that witness from God that these things are true, it changes you--your desires--and you want to follow it.

The most exciting part of this week was when Brother Champ opened his mission call.  He opened it after church when everyone was there.  He is going to Paris France!  And he will be speaking Mandarin Chinese!  He was in total shock.  He goes to the Provo MTC in February and will learn French there.  I think his mom is Chinese so he already knows a lot of Mandarin but zero French.  Can you imagine being taught another language in your second language?  He is Thai, going to France, speaking Chinese.  Wow.  Everyone is super excited for him.

So right now, we have very little investigators.  It stinks.  I've been reading in Preach My Gospel about finding new investigators and learned quite a bit about faith.  God is currently preparing people all over the world, He is pouring out His spirit, softening their hearts.  It is our job to find them, to help them recognize that this is the truth they have been searching for.  I really liked a scripture I read somewhere in the Doctrine of Covenants about how we are supposed to find the 'elect of God,' or those who are ready.  There are so many people in Thailand, in Chiangmai, that I can talk to, but only the elect will be prepared to receive the message of the Restoration.  So I need to be able to discern who is prepared and who is not.  Good thing God gives us great tools to do this or else I'd be done for.  Through prayer we can be guided to the prepared souls, we can be sensitive to the quiet Spirit that tells us who to talk to, who to help.  Then miracles follow.  I guess this paragraph is more for me than for you.

Life is good in Thailand.  Still hot, but still worth it.

Much Love,

Elder M. Riley Creer
The Only

#hashtags:
#whatdoyousay: when your investigator wants to come to America with you... #wellthisisawkward
Picture famine. #sorryteam


No comments: