Monday, July 9, 2012

Khon Kaen 7.8.12

Hey family!

I have a companion! Yes. I'm not an awkward third wheel anymore. This week was madness.

#Bangkok: This city is massively crazy. We left Khonkaen Wednesday night at about 11, rode a bus all night and got to Bangkok at 4:30 am. The transfers meeting was held in a church building in the center of Bangkok. We anticipated lots of traffic. There wasn't any. We got there 3 hours early. Yikes. After the meeting was over I had to go renew my visa and work permit with a bunch of other missionaries in my MTC group. It was pretty cool to see them all again and swap embarrassing stories. Renewing the visa took for...ev...er #sandlotquote. We're talking 3 to 4 hours forever. Returning from visa mayhem was even more mayhem. It took an hour and a half to get back. #lessonlearned: never get in a taxi with missionaries that are just as young as you and expect to get through bangkok in a timely manner. When I finally got back to the church building where transfers was held the real madness starts. It's called getting luggage, bikes, and bodies to the bus station before the bus leaves. You think it wouldn't be too bad, just hop in a taxi, jerry-rig a bike to the back and go. Nope. Every taxi refused to take us to the bus station. So we hoofed it to the subway thing and rode that bad boy as close to the bus station as we could, then hopped into taxis to get us the rest of the way. We get there and I think the fun/misery is about to end. Nope. We spent the next 45 minutes cramming all this stuff on the bus. I felt pretty sorry for the luggage guy, he was under a lot of stress. He looked like he'd rather die than help all these white people get their bikes home. With some creative thinking and crazy tetris skills we got all the stuff on and headed out. We rode all night. Got home at 2:30 am. Went to bed. Up at 6:30. Nutshell: Anything involving Bangkok is automatically crazy.

Hilarious Story: We were serving a sister in our ward, just cutting her lawn...with a machete and glorified kitchen scissors, you know the usual. Sister ¹¡ wasn't there yet, so we just started. Bad idea. E. Heslop, my new companion, cut a ugly looking shrub growing out of the middle of her yard. We didn't think anything of it, actually we thought we had done her a favor (it was pretty ugly). Boy were we wrong. Turns out, her mom gave her that plant. It gets worse, the plant is really hard to find. It gets worse, her mom died recently. Nightmare. It was the perfect storm. E. Heslop felt like a monster. Sister ¹¡ was surprisingly calm about it, she didn't flip, she didn't kill us, she even gave us Swensen's ice cream after we were done serving. She was at church yesterday so I guess no real damage was done.

We were eating at an investigators house on saturday night. They said they would feed us isaan food. Score. We show up with two sisters from the branch. It's going great I'm thinking. The food is alright, no som tom but no bugs either. Then they bring out this meat that looks like straight up pooh. Seriously. It looked like pooh. It was raw meat. Sirens are going off in my mind. Salmonella, hospitals, death. I figure I'll just casually avoid it. Disaster. The dad of the house tells me to try it. #crap. So I get some on my plate and am adding rice to the spoonful when he says eat it without rice. Are you kidding? I can't get a break. I'm about to eat raw meat and I can't even eat it watered down with rice. It's like having to read a horrible novel for school and realizing they don't have sparknotes for it. #worstfeelingever. So what do i do? I eat it. Surprisingly it wasn't too bad. It was doused in enough spices that I was more concerned with my burning tongue than anything else. Crazy right? Well next they bring out snails. #realtalk #wishiwaskidding They give you a toothpick and you stab it in and twirl the little guy out of his shell...then eat him. It was awful. The most bitter thing I've ever eaten. SO gross. Don't do it. Just say no.

Life is great. Mission life rocks.

Much Love,

Elder M. Riley Creer
The Only

Hashtags:
back 2 back nights on a bus...#spareme
My new companion goes hard on the dance floor. We'll see what I can learn in 6 weeks #watchout

No comments: