Monday, July 30, 2012

Khon Kaen 7.30.12

Dearest family that I love,

This week was fast. Too fast. I feel like the days, weeks, months are zooming by. I have already been a missionary for 6 months. A quarter of my mission is done, gone, over, finished. Yikes! It is motivation to really work my hardest and make the most out of my time here because it is so short.

The highlight of this week was Zone Conference. President Senior is so dapper, so classy. But he is great, I felt motivated and energized after the conference. He sort of reminds me of President Tew. He likes to call on people at random to share testimonies and he doesn't beat around the bush, he likes straightforwardness and directness. I have only seen him 3 times now but so far that's the impression I got of him. The Zone Conference started at 9 and ended at 3 though, it was nuts. But we had some breaks (fruit break-yes, pizza break-oh heck yes) in between all the lessons/talks so it was all good. I learned a lot though and also realized that there is a lot I can improve. That is really the theme of everything I learned this week: I have a lot I can improve. Luckily, I don't have to do it alone (frankly, I couldn't do it if I was). It is comforting to know through Christ's Atonement I can receive spiritual strength to overcome challenges and change my behavior/thoughts/attitude/actions. That is something President Senior really emphasized; personally living the gospel of Jesus Christ more fully. As we exercise faith in Christ, He will help us repent, or change/improve our lives. When thinking of the gospel I really like Moroni 7:33-34. We really can do all things with faith, even the seemingly impossible task of perfecting ourselves.

#Isthisreallifemoment: Elder Heslop were inviting this street. We are inviting this family when a guy on a motorcycle rolls up and starts talking to E. Heslop. I decided to continue inviting the family. I told them about Heavenly Father and how he has a plan for our families to have more happiness in this life and then asked if we could explain more. They said yes, come on in. Score. But E. Heslop was still talking to the man on the moto. So I tried to small talk (awkwardly) while we waited. When the moto guy left we taught them and they said we could come back again. Sweet. Just a normal invite? Nope. Later that night E. Heslop told me what the guy on the moto was saying. Apparently he had found a pass-along card on the side of the road. It is the card with Jesus holding a lamb. He picked it up and read the stuff on the back about the Book of Mormon and decided he needed one. So when he was heading to work and saw E. Heslop and I he stopped and asked for one. How he knew that we were the people that have the Book of Mormon I don't know but somehow he did. Unfortunately, the only copy E. Heslop had at the time was a misprinted one with some messed up pages but we got his number so we can meet him later. So in 10 minutes we experienced a mini miracle and got in a house and found a sweet family. I sort of felt like David after his trip to the dentist, "Is this real life?"

Bad news bears. One of our investigator's wife told him if he went to church he didn't need to come home. Nuts. Apparently she hates us...but we'll fix that. We plan on teaching him how to fast and fasting with him for his wife to have a softer heart. If that doesn't work, we'll bake her cookies. Done deal.

As for my companion, E. Heslop is a boss. He has swagger out the yingyang. He is from Utah. He is an expert dancer and plays tennis. He likes hightops and the jabbawockeez. Yeah...we get along great.

Much Love,

Elder M. Riley Creer
The Only


#Hashtags:
Improving little by little #babystepstotheelevator #namethatmovie #5letterweek
New Investigator. First Visit: baptismal date #Golden. Second Visit: He doesn't want to meet anymore #Psych. #ultimate bummer


No comments: