Friday, April 10, 2015

#WellAwesome

When I think of dating sometimes I feel like I am in the 7th round of a boxing match. I'm up against the ropes. I've got a black eye. I can't see and I hear myself saying, "Cut me, Mick." I can't last another round.


Dating. It is a blessing...and a curse. Lately, it has been a curse. Trying to find a date now resembles door-to-door inviting on my mission. Sometimes I think letting my brother-in-law practice pulling my teeth is a more attractive offer.
Each and every time I go through the same ordeal. On Sunday or Monday I come up with this sweet idea for a date. Over the next 3 days I try to find someone to take. These are some of the responses I get: "I already have commitments for that day." "My friend is having a birthday." "I have to fold my socks." "New phone, who is this?" By the time the weekend comes around I am starting to get pretty desperate. Sometimes I give up and hang out with da boyz. Other times in fear of missing out on an awesome group date I ask someone to set me up with a rando. 
The whole cycle is emotionally taxing. I start each week determined to find a date for the upcoming weekend. I end each week thinking I'll just go rock climbing and see a dollar movie instead.
Girls complain that guys only want to hang out. Well in my experience girls don't want to hang out, go on dates, answer their phones, or return texts.
You are probably thinking, "Well, Riley, maybe you are just barking up the wrong tree." I have literally thought the exact same thing. It is possible, probable even. So, I have decided to observe Post-Easter Lent. I guess we'll call it Pent. I will be giving up girls and dating for 40 days. Hopefully by the end of these 40 days I will have wandered into a new grove of trees, trees that actually bark back.


I was fully committed to this goal until I reflected on what I heard at General Conference. Elder Ballard, "You single adults need to date and marry. Please stop delaying!" I guess making a goal that is a direct contradiction to what modern prophets teach is a dangerous road, regardless of my intentions. So I guess I will have to draw upon my inner Rocky Balboa and fight on. So here's to fighting the good fight, swinging back at life when life swings at you and following the prophet.

No comments: